"Lengthen the hug, hold the kiss, stop avoiding, look at what is happening. Give in to it, be it a good or bad experience, or you'll miss it altogether." Joan Erickson.
Several weeks ago, I read yet another amazing book. A Walk on the Beach by Joan Anderson. She developed an incredible friendship with the famous psychologist, Erik Erickson's wife, Joan before she passed away. Her wisdom was so spunky yet something to deeply appreciate and apply. She met her husband in Vienna and loved him in a girlish, romantic way even through his dying days. I know without a doubt that they were the aged couple walking in the park still holding hands even if the other was holding a cane. I was so struck by this love. She was the type of woman that would come right up to you, look you squarely in the eyes, squeeze your hand, and ask, "Tell me, what is it you plan to with your one wild and precious life?"
I would answer her with....Love lots and extraordinarily deeply. Find my world and then with all of my heart give myself to it. And Rilke reminds me of this, "whoever wants to have deep love in his life must collect and save for it and gather honey." Then St. Theresa of Avila pipes in with, "Accustom yourself to continually make many acts of love for they enkindle and melt the soul."
This is what I plan to do with my one wild and precious life.
No comments:
Post a Comment