Il ne faut point se faire une regle, ni de toujours suivre l'esprit de mortification et de receuillement qui eloigne du commerce, ni de suivre toujours le zele qu'on a de porter les ames a Dieu. Que faut-il donc faire? Se partager entre ces deux devoirs, pour n'abandonner pas ses propres besoins en s'appliquant a ceux d'autrui et pour ne negliger pas ceux d'autrui en se renfermant dans les siens. La regle pour trouver ce juste milieu depend de l'etat interieur et exterieur de chaque personne. -Fenelon
How can we balance meeting the needs of others while not neglecting our own?
CS Lewis' take on it: "Rendering back one's will which we have so long claimed for our own, is, in itself, extraordinarily painful. To surrender a self-will inflamed and swollen with years of usurpation is a kind of death."
But I also love Anne M. Lindbergh's words regarding this..."I shall ask into my shell only those friends with whom I can be completely honest. I find that I am shedding hypocrisy in human relationships. If one is out of touch with oneself, then one cannot touch others...Only when one is connected to one's core is one connected to others." Gift From the Sea
Be a world to oneself for another's sake.
No comments:
Post a Comment