May 29, 2008

The Beauty That is Indochina


As multicultural as it gets....our friends from Holland, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, and Argentina.

Riding the "refugee" boat down the Mekong for 2 days. Huay Xai to Luang Prabang, Laos.

Almost to Luang Prabang!

Luang Prabang

Cooking School in Luang Prabang.




Laos seemed like the most logical place for a great splurge. We stayed at the Shanti Villa Resort and Spa on the outskirts of Luang Prabang for one night. For an extremely affordable price, I was able to experience what it's like to be a spinach wrap for an entire hour. Actually, I had a green tea body scrub and massage where the masseuse rubbed slimy tea leaves (that resembled chopped spinach) all over my body and then rolled me up in plastic wrap to marinate. All I was missing was a bag of chips on the side. I also took a peaceful night dip in that lovely pool pictured above.





Showing off our splurge-worthy digs.





5 am in Ventiane, Laos before our flight to Cambodia. Entirely too early for a genuine smile.






Wow, I look like a picture from StarTracks in People magazine where they spot celebrities trying to disguise themselves anonymously in cafes. Except I look like when Britney Spears went downhill. And I apparently read newspapers upside down.




Biking the 26K around the Angkor Wat ruins.



6 AM at Angkor.

Just a girl with broomstick hair in reflection at Angkor.





One of those thrilling Tuk-Tuk rides that leaves your face smeared with dirt and your hair in one huge tangle.

At an organic farm in Vang Vieng, Laos. We were really hoping to hang out with the tree gnomes.

Writing more postcards...that never got mailed. I'm a great friend.

Kinda felt like a rainforest, as evidenced by soaking wet pants. Vang Vieng, Laos.


We couldn't afford to rent a motorbike in Thailand, so we had to go "economy". :)

Riding a cramped chicken barge down the Mekong River for 2 days...not so mmmmm.



I'm either pensive or angry. :)


Trying to get back in touch with my Montanan roots.

They told me I had bad posture and gave me some brass rings to help. :) Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Traveling in style atop an elephant in Chiang Mai.

Going crazy after 3 days in Vang Vieng, Laos.


No comments: