Celebrating "Democracy Day" in Santaneshor.
Finally, a picture of the infamous daal bhaat. Please focus in on the proportion of the rice. This now lends complete credibility to all my daal bhaat horror stories.
There she is....my cackling, host Granny or "Hajur Aamaa" as we say in Nepali.
Some sweet peace in the Garden of Dreams, Kathmandu...spent the afternoon reading "An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire" with a pot of Jasmine Tea. I highly recommend it as must-read for any American...it will seriously tick you off because what she is implying unfortunately is really quite true and it's tough to face the harsh truth of it. It's sobering.
Internet in Nepal has bit the dust for the last week... It took me an hour and a half just to upload these few pictures...alas, I guess will write my musings next week. The latest word is that I'm doing a bit of traveling starting next Friday, and that I've accepted an offer to work at a health clinic 2 hours north of Pokhara. I understand that name means absolutely nothing to all of you. But to me, that actually means that I will be moving to the "Switzerland" region of Nepal (it totally cracks me up that they compare it to the Alps, when the Himalayans are in an entire league of their own). I'll be living way up in the Himal and working at a much poorer clinic; this translates as: more hands-on clinical time for me. So I'm checking out for a couple of weeks here for hiking, paragliding, safari time at the Royal Chitwan NP, some strong yak milk, and a whole lot of richness in the everyday work here in Nepal. Until the next time, friends...Shanti.
No comments:
Post a Comment