Just realized that I had yet to put a picture of the clinic where I work. So here is a shot of Maternal and Child Health Day at the clinic. I'll try to get a picture of the silo where I live next week. And maybe a picture of the lovely crazy Granny if I'm lucky :)
This little boy stole my heart.
We gave them prizes for bringing healthy lunches to school.
Another group of seriously adorable kids.
This photo was taken of me in Thamel right after I came to the sad realization that I have Giardia. I'm not sure why I look happy.
Another sari shot with a bit more of the Nepal countryside where I live.
My un-Day Off in Thamel. I escaped for an evening of pizza. Hurrah!
At the Santanesor Hindu Temple....after 300 stairs to the top. Somehow my camera got switched to "Snow" setting, and so I'm positively glowing white in this picture.
Continually amazed by the beauty of the people that I've become dear friends with here. Just some more pictures from this past week...really short on time for internet these days.
I still miss you all like crazy and love hearing all the happenings and exciting updates from home to still feel some semblance of normalcy. It sounds like so many of you have had some really exciting changes in your lives recently. Keep me informed. I'm reading emails faithfully and loving all the scoop I get. :)
There is a growing list of things that I really miss about home such as real dill pickles, caramel macchiatos, Tivo, my Macbook, being able to listen to music, sleeping in a bed with a duvet, having normal hair, and chips and salsa. Haha.
I'm learning a little bit about the phases of language acquisition...up until this last week I felt that I was beating my head against a wall despite my hours of studying and week's worth of lessons. But some little light inside my head finally came on, and my speaking abilities have finally taken off. I can converse so much more comfortably now and can almost fully comprehend all that is being spoken. I can't figure out what finally changed, but it has been a huge reward this week. I think I have finally charmed by aggressive heavy-handed host mother by speaking a lot more Nepali with her, and now I will catch her just staring at me while I eat my breakfast with the biggest smile on her face. I never was given the time of day from her before. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if she has completely charmed me with her habitual way of hocking lugees from the third story window of the kitchen onto the ground below where people are passing by.
Just another glimpse of my mornings in Nepal. I've finally adapted to the steaming heaps of daal bhaat for both breakfast and dinner. Forget the days of porridge and Special K, I eat a mountain of white rice with grey lentil matter and some curried vegetables as well as a stack of 4 slices of toasted white bread (yes, it's disgusting) and milk tea. Believe me, I know how bad this is for me but I don't dare cross "Helga", my host mother by asking for anything else. I have to run 3 miles every day to keep the weight off from the most carb diet I have ever been on.
Here's a little bit more news from my side of things... I've finally narrowed down a bunch of travel dates for those of you who have mentioned coming along for different parts. I've finalized the Everest Base Camp Trek for April 11-25, and have booked it with my friend Mani from Great Adventure Treks and Expedition. April 26-May 3: I have booked a week in Tibet and am in the process of getting the visa. May 4: Ellie has decided to join me in flying to Bangkok for a few days and then onto Krabi for a week's worth of climbing around Railley Beach. Anyone else who will be in the area around May 6-13 is more than welcome to join in the pretty phenomenal climbing agenda. I'm still working to square away dates for the rest of Southeast Asia. Drop me your suggestions and ideas....I am really welcoming recommendations.
Until the next time...Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment