December 17, 2005

The Grand Opening of my Thoughts















Amalfi Coast, Italy *** December, 2004

A year ago I was finishing up classes and getting ready to test my students before Christmas break. I was packing my backpack and preparing for an Italian holiday that would consist of lots of backseat time reading Frank Peretti, stretching my four tomatoes and penne for as many meals as I could, and frigid cold camping with my Nalgene as an excellent heated water bottle on my feet.
Here are my archived thoughts upon returning from this unforgettable holiday trip: http://www.jjmoore83.bravejournal.com/archive/01/3/2005
http://www.jjmoore83.bravejournal.com/archive/01/5/2005

So here it is a year later. I've returned to College Place and even though it doesn't have the same intriguing allure as my travels in Europe did, it is homey and it is cozy security. I'm not planning a whirlwind roadtrip, I'm just simply working in my fourth-floor blue office in the library for a few extra days before journeying home. I won't be riding the Alps at fantastic Hintertux and Finkenburg resorts this February. Rather, I will be riding the Walla Walla Valley's finest--Bluewood tomorrow and then Tahoe later this break. But it's good to be back!

Although, my heart feels torn between Prague and the States lately. I miss my agenda-free Sunday mornings in Praha when I would spend hours browsing design, travel, and fine cooking books overlooking Vaclavske Namesti where the tourists scurried around below. I would buy my favorite Caramel Macchiato and meander Parizka Street to the bridge near the park. I would stop by Golden Pralines and buy specialty Belgium chocolate to send home to my family and then justify taking a couple out for myself. These were weekend mornings of content when my journal was always in tote and so was my camera. Everything was worth being captured either by words or picture. I sought out interesting, intriguing strangers to strike up a spontaneous conversation with. I noted how the many different cultures of tourists converged there in Praha and what I respected and wanted to emulate from each of their cultures. On Sunday mornings, I felt like I met the entire world in the marketplace and I absolutely loved it.

No comments: