


After the time that I spent working at the clinic of rural, mountainous Phalebas, I know without a doubt that I have definitely chosen a truly rewarding field of work. I've never been so certain about wanting to practice medicine as I am right now. I can't even really describe what it feels like to cast a crying child's broken arm for the first time or to listen to the sound of punctured lungs through a stethoscope. Something stirs so deeply within you at each encounter of pain. You frantically scour your brain for every possible treatment you can possibly think of and replay every case that you've learned from in the last several months, berating yourself for not learning more, faster in such a short period of time. Just trying to make the other person's pain stop quickly, completely at the mercy of your knowledge and ability to act. When you've never cared so deeply about an outcome, well, I think you have finally the discovered the path of work that you were called to.
No comments:
Post a Comment